Monday, April 7, 2008

Oh dear, Publicity...

---EDIT: 9:30 PM, 4/8/08--
I found this article today about this 55-year-old Chinese American woman who is doing the torch relay in SF tomorrow. I found another article from the same publication, SF Chronicle, that talks about the athlete's point of view. I thought these articles were similar to my thoughts... though, I'm still pretty neutral about the whole issue. I don't really feel like I can side with anyone.
---
I recall my first trip to China... Summer of 2001. The time Beijing was elected as the 2008 Summer Olympics host city. Gosh, China was so happy that summer and they've been so happy since then, even with all the news in the media. I've read somewhere that maybe it's because China's newspapers are somewhat controlling what's being written and that maybe the Chinese population don't really know what's going on with China and the rest of the world... but then again, don't several newspapers have that going on as well? I mean, I can only think of the U.S. but aren't most newspapers owned by even bigger newspapers and then the owner of that big company probably has hell of a wealthy selection of friends... at least I would think. I don't know, I don't feel like researching that, but maybe I might for my persuasive speech. For now, I'm just going to think that and get my point across about how we just shouldn't trust everything we read in the media. I'd much rather go out there and understand it myself, but obviously I kinda fall short of that option... anyways!

I don't understand why the Olympics always brings about so much politics and boycotting. I mean, the Olympics is about uniting the world and allowing these athletes who have trained so hard to participate in the games. Ugh! I know... people are probably pissed off at me for saying that, but I'm going to try to hold back my sensitivity, be a brave soul, and take your criticism because I don't want to apologize for something that I believe. I really don't think the athletes should have to give up their chance to perform and compete against the world's so-called "best" because of stupid politics. Fuck politics. The only fucking war I want to see between nations is athletes striving to do their best in order to win a damn medal! =/

You don't have to agree with me, but I think the Olympics should go on as planned. And even though China is getting itself into a lot of trouble lately, I'm still proud to be Chinese because I think China has potential of becoming a great nation in modern society's eyes and the only morals that have impacted my life are the things I've learned from my ancestry. Besides, I'm just as proud to be American, even if fucking Bush screwed the U.S. over...

1 comment:

Rinny said...

=O I was going to blog about this!!
I have some friends who have very strong views, for AND against this.

All I've ever wanted was peace and that's not happening at the moment. There are wrongs on both sides but I don't think throwing yourself infront of a truck covered in 'blood' is the way to go.

They can agree to disagree but seriously, they shouldn't have to jeopardise the uniting of countries around the world in a sporting event...

Personally, I was ecstatic when China could host the Olympics for the first time round.... I still am =) Just as I am that London could host it too.

Hmmmmm maybe I should still post about this....

Oh, saw your post.... NOPE, you're not my only American friend but you are totally unique and awesome in your own right =) peace out x~